<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

So Long Soley-Sue

Our experiment in dual doggy ownership failed miserably.

We knew that our beloved Oliver needed a playmate and after Christmas set out to find a new pup. After a huge let down at the shelter we decided to hunt for the perfect red Dobie. We found him through a somewhat local breeder and brought our Solomon home at the end of January. Today he found yet another home.

Sweet Solomon

Ok, I'll admit it, David wasn't entirely on board, he was for me, but if it had been completely up to him....notsomuch. I was a wee bit trying to self-medicate with dog, I think. I have always been an animal lover, never turned down a stray, have always used those furry four legged loves as my outlets for affection and companionship, the whole bit. But then this funny thing happened. I became a mom and as much as my animal kids were loved and cared for, the human babe took over priority number one.

But lately Oli had me stressed, he was lonely, I was feeling a discontent and then when my dad died... I needed something and that seemed to be it.

I won't say it didn't help. To have this gorgeous, sweet, loving creature in our midst was awesome. Oliver immediately changed into the dog we knew he could be, and Xavier loooooved his baby puppy. But it wasn't all roses, the poop multiplied, the stress multiplied, the one more thing to take care of quickly became too much. We were tripping over ourselves and quite literally having our ankles chewed on by a teething pup, who was quickly gaining size on our 2 year old. He was my responsibility and I finally admitted I just couldn't do it anymore.

After two weeks of answering emails and phone calls. Of denying way too many people because they were more interested in chopping his ears off than hearing about how sweet he is, we found the perfect parents to adopt our not so tiny pup.

They came, they visited, they left with 4 more legs.

We're sad. Xavier said goodbye, but I think it will take a day or two to sink in. Oliver is lost and moping. But at the same time there is a relief. A weight that has lifted.

One of the hardest things in seeing him go, was deciding that it's not fair to keep Oliver as an only dog, he really needs a canine companion for himself. And so next week, Xavier, my sister and I, will pack up the car and make the long drive down to Arizona to drop him off with my brother and sister-in-love. They love him, want him, and can give him what we can't right now. I don't know if we could do it if he wasn't staying in the family, but he is, and we can.

Oliver's First Bath (yes, there are pictures)

While it stinks, again, I'm feeling relief- even if for silly things. I'm looking forward to a house that is a little quieter, a lot cleaner. To not have to interrupt a moment with my husband or my boy because the dog needs to go out, or eat, or just pooped/peed/threw up on the floor again, will be heaven. To know my boy is safe from nips and accidental knock downs gives this mama a piece of mind that I haven't had before. I fear the emptiness, the lack of snoring, snorting, bulldog. But it just doesn't feel optional right now.

When X is older, when he can help, when he's bigger. When we have a different house, and different schedules and firmer roots. I think then we might be able to introduce another living breathing thing into our lives. Right now, we prepare to say goodbye.

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • OpenID mellalittle says so:
    8:21 AM  

    wow! sounds like you made a tough but wise decision! praying that it's not to hard to say good bye. top

  • Blogger Mommy Instincts says so:
    9:42 AM  

    aw...a no puppy household.

    i know you are doing what is right for you and that's a great thing. i'm proud of you for making a really tough decision.

    if you want any crazy madness in your house, we'll come over and play. LOL

    jen top

  • Blogger Carol Phillips says so:
    10:51 AM  

    I know first hand how hard all this is... but like we've talked about before, it really is the right thing! It all got a lot easier (and happened lot sooner) than I could've ever imagined. Knowing that our pups are loved really helps, of course. Happy you guys have found 2 wonderful homes for your furry family members. :) top

  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    2:25 PM  

    This made me cry!! I also wanted to tell you how much what you've said I can SO RELATE to. I also medicate with dog. So many people do. Then my human children had to take priority, too.

    I know how hard it is to admit that things didn't work out, but it's so important for you and the animals that you know this, are taking action, and are doing the best in the end for them as well as your family. Although that doesn't make it any easier, I know.

    Love,
    Steph top

  • Blogger abbyjess says so:
    7:29 PM  

    I'm so sorry. That has to be one of the most difficult decisions you've ever had to make. I hope that your life will be less harried now and that the pups find peace and love in their new homes. top

  • Blogger To Think is to Create says so:
    12:13 AM  

    Poor you guys. I have had to make this decision in the past, and almost got there with our current pup. She must have heard the whisperings, because she suddenly stopped being a puppy and is kinda a contributing member of society now.

    It will be a hard transition, but all will be better in the end. top

  • Blogger erika~ the inspired mama says so:
    5:28 PM  

    awww, sending great big hugs your way, mama! it sounds like it will be best, but hard, no doubt~

    take care!! top