<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

Say It Like You Mean It

I started working at a group home when I was 16. My "clients" were labeled as "low functioning, high-needs adults". I loved them, still love them, they quickly became my friends, my family. They taught me more than I could ever put into words, but one of my favorite lessons is just how silly our language can be. To my "guys" EVERYTHING was literal. If you said wait a second you better believe in exactly ONE second they wanted you to deliver. Maybe, was unimaginable, and when the new guy said it was "raining cats and dogs" our resident animal lover hopped to the window faster than I'd ever seen him move, full of excitement, only to be sadly disappointed by the presence of rain drops.

These moments return to mind now that I am Mom. Xavier has a really good grasp on language, his vocabulary blows me away, and yet there are all these nuances that his brain, can't and won't grasp for so long. And so I think about some of the things we say, and how when taken literally, they are just plain weird. People are strange! I'm sure you all have your favorite examples, and I could, I'm certain go on and on, but my favorite of late...

I'm preparing X for our day, telling him that after church we're going to go to Miss Carrington's baby shower. As I'm rattling off the names of our friends that we'll see, he disappears mid Miss Steph, he just makes that "ah-ha!" face and saunters off. Before I know it he's bouncing back with his favorite bottle of shampoo in hand, beaming and exclaims! - "Miss Care-ning-ton's baby showers! Yay!" Right. Baby. Shower. Don't I feel silly. Giggling and backpedaling, I explain that we are actually going to a baby party, to celebrate that Miss Carrington has a baby in her belly, baby Capri, who will be here so soon! "Ok, he says, go baby party" and off he goes. Just a party, not nearly as fun when there are no bubbles involved.

And now even though it has lights and is utterly fascinating I have the task of explaining why, this month and this month alone, we have a tree in our living room. A living room that has not, nor ever will, see any other growing green life form, because... I kill them. And while this tree is not alive it was assembled, "Papa, stacked it up", and we hung the ornaments, put the tiniest little Santa hat on top, plugged in the lights and will bask in it's glory, at least for another 14 days.

People are strange.

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    10:19 PM  

    Yes- too funny. Carter calls me out on a lot of weird sayings. But that X- he is just too smart for us!

    Steph top

  • Blogger Carrington says so:
    11:28 PM  

    This is SO adorable! I seriously love your little guy, he makes my heart melt. Ya know? Some kids are cute, and then there are others, like X that are beyond cute. I hope he can explain all this smart stuff to Capri! top

  • Blogger To Think is to Create says so:
    4:06 AM  

    I think your "guys" remind me of some guys I know...can't put my finger on it... ;) top

  • Blogger Carol Phillips says so:
    9:30 AM  

    I love this! Isn't it so true?! The other day, Liam was sounding awfully bossy. I asked Liam where his manners were and he quickly turned, looking frantically behind and around him... :) They're so funny! top

  • Blogger Glass Half Full says so:
    9:23 AM  

    I am not a green thumb either -- more of a green murderer!

    This was too cute!

    Lori top

  • Blogger The Flip Flop Mamma! says so:
    5:59 PM  

    I learned this too the other day when I told theBeast to "hold your horses!" when she was being impatient and she got that "aha!" look and ran and got her toy horses! Geesh.

    Oh, last night she wouldn't fall asleep and she kept telling theFM over and over again about a certain incident with Oliver! She would sign dog, and then point to her rear and say "moo moo!" because she can't make a P sound. You know what I'm talking about??? heeheehee top