<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

2 Hours To Bedtime

Xavier's bedtime routine is pretty simple, in that we don't really have one. When he was new, he would just nurse and zonk out in the sling and sleep there on me until I was ready for bed. Eventually he started needing to actually lay down to sleep peacefully and so I'd nurse him to sleep in bed and sneak away. And there we stand. We usually play right up until bed time and then do a super quick potty run, diaper on, tooth brush, say goodnight to Papa, Oliver, Norman, reading corner, the puppy light, the guitar, the... and then we jet back upstairs and plop into bed where X nurses to dreamland while I sing his song and "tickle" his hair. Within 30-40 minutes he's usually near comatose, done nursing and I can sneak away.

Tonight however... we make it through our routine, I go to sneak away and Xavier rolls over, sits up, wide eyes, says- "Mama, go down stairs and play." The kid is WIDE awake. He's had his power nap and is ready to burn the midnight oil. I'm about to get frustrated, really frustrated not that it's a big deal but...
  • I'm tired
  • I'm not feeling well
  • I'm wondering what David's up to
  • I need to get diapers in the wash
  • I HAVE to sew
  • Reviews need to get posted
  • I really just want to snuggle up with my lovely husband on the couch and do nothing
  • and
  • I REALLY want some ice cream
oh, and I have to pee. I take a deep breath and decide we'll just lay here and maybe he'll fall back asleep. (HA! in the history of his world X has NEVER just laid down and gone to sleep). Just as we call Papa in (thanks to Xav's 20th "Daddy doing?") it hits me- in 15 years I won't be able to pay my son to snuggle and my list of "desires" will look lame to say the least. And so I give up, give in and the next two hours are bliss. Filled with our sleepy floppy fish, rolling back and forth to snuggle Mama, then snuggle Daddy. To kiss and whisper and just be. Time stopped and we just were, just us, our family. I had massage requests from head to toe and then. Those little doe eyes look up at me and he says "Mama? Javi ready nonny night-night" yes, my lamb. And so we snuggle up close, X nurses of to sleep as I tickle and sing again. 15 minutes he's out. I sneak downstairs and realize it's nearly MY bedtime. The sewing and reviews (and maybe even the icecream!) will have to wait. And I don't even mind!

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    3:15 PM  

    Aw, I recognize these nights, but so sweet. Nothing like family time. Especially snuggles in bed!

    Steph top

  • Anonymous To Think is to Create says so:
    9:28 PM  

    Sometimes surrendering to these things feels so perfect. Glad you had such sweet togetherness. top

  • Blogger Glass Half Full says so:
    2:55 PM  

    I was with a group of moms and their children are in high school and college. They all told me the same thing: ENJOY THE NOW!!!!

    Lori top

  • Blogger The Flip Flop Mamma! says so:
    3:30 PM  

    Haha, David told me that you had an icecream addiction these days!!! heehee. That's why I don't mind holding the baby ALL THE TIME, because I know that all too soon, he'll be big and I won't be able to. top

  • Blogger Tracey says so:
    9:16 AM  

    Definitely enjoy the Now. Justin is 8 (and a HALF, Mom!) and still asks me to come in a cuddle before he falls asleep. I sometimes dread it as I'm SO ready for time alone, to be with my husband, to just NOT be Mommy for a few moments, but I repeat in my head, "he won't always want to cuddle with you." So I enjoy the full body cuddle (he's almost as tall as me!!) and relish in the fact that my 3rd grader STILL wants to cuddle with his Mom. top

  • Blogger Heidi says so:
    9:11 PM  

    Yes, I'm 2nd Jaymi's response...my babe is going through a growth spurt -nursing marathon. My house is a mess because nothing else is getting done. But like you said in 15 years my house will be spic and span and I will need to take a draw from the overabundance of cuddles I'm getting now. top

  • Blogger Alipurr says so:
    8:35 PM  

    you are so right, they grow up soo fast....& it is hard to just let go of all you have to do & just settle down & snuggle & nurse

    my baby boy is 5 mos & he just knows when I am trying to sneak out of bed...& you know the rest :)

    even though this is my 3rd baby I still cherish every moment nursing as much as I can top