<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

Xavier's First Hair Cut

I suppose 19 1/2 months is a long time to avoid the inevitable first hair cut. Xavier was born with a ton of hair, but lost it all a few months in. Since it's grown back it's always made itself into a cute 'do that fell and curled in all the right places. Those curls... And though he's mistaken as a girl with increasing frequency (even when wearing black skull shirts, camo shorts, and carrying around a dump truck) we just couldn't cut the curls. The bangs on the other hand needed some help. No amount of shoving to the side, or mommy spit, would keep them out of his eyes.

I'm pretty comfortable wielding scissors around a head of hair, but it only seemed right to leave our first child's, first cut to the pro's- and so we took him in to the local kiddie-centric hair salon.

X was so excited. He picked a race car to sit in and was super excited about his special robot cape. I on the other hand was less than enthused by our welcome and the age/dress of the girl about to cut his hair (ok, so she's young, but a cleavage exposing tee and mini skirt just didn't seem to be appropriate attire for the kiddies). All of the stations have flat screen TV's where mirrors would normally be, and right off the bat she asked what he liked to watch. I said that he doesn't watch TV and would be fine just playing, so of course she proceeded to put on a Thomas the Train DVD. But hey, I'm not going to argue with someone about to have scissors that close to my baby's head. Xavier was awesome - he drove his car, honked the horn, sang "hair cut, hair cut", looked at the choo-choo's, and had an all around good time.

The results on the other hand.... As I said we just wanted a little bang trim, enough to keep it out of his eyes. So of course he ended up with bangs halfway up his forehead. It was looking a little Dumb and Dumber-ish, so we asked her to blend his curls a bit, mmmm, still not quite working. I'm going to sleep on it, but I figure we have two options.
1.
Deal with it. They'll grow back. Right?!
2.
Cut the curls. The shorter bangs would look fine with shorter hair everywhere. Maybe even a baby faux hawk?


In the meantime, I'm drooling over these...and this.

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger The Flip Flop Mamma! says so:
    8:37 AM  

    I would hate for you to cut his curls!! Oh no!! I don't know what to tell you except that no damaging haircut could ever take away from his cuteness!!!! Look at that little face!! Oh, and the skull hoody? Too Cute!!! He really needs that! top

  • Blogger Tracey says so:
    8:41 AM  

    Hmmm. Well, he still looks cute, obviously, but the curls didn't get blended the way you wanted, did they? Actually, cutting a baby boy's hair on a kid who likes to sing "hair cut! Hair cut!" probably wouldn't be too hard. Just take your time, and slowly work your way around. I used to give Justin a little bowl with tiny treats (M&M's for him, maybe raisins or other natural sweets for X?) and he'd just sit there and we'd chat for a half an hour while I would do a snip snip, wait, snip snip, wait... top

  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    8:41 AM  

    He could totally get away with a faux hawk, but I love the curls. Oh, and my boys always have the Dumb & Dumber look right after a hair cut. Give it a couple days to settle!

    He's too cute either way!

    Steph top

  • Anonymous Mama C-ta says so:
    9:08 AM  

    Well I'm in the same boat as you so I'll be of no help. I love the curls and would hate to see them go but we have the same keeping the curls means bangs in the eye problem. Well trim the bangs just enough then they are too long the next day already. I've been struggling with the decision for 2 years now. Although the summer is about as nice to Cricket's hair as mine, it doesn't look all perfectly placed like X's.

    I bailed on the kid-cartoon cutting place after talking to their "stylist" for a min first, it did not feel right to me but I just don't know where to go. Plus they didn't have any kind of race car chair or robot cape.

    He definitely would look good with a faux hawk but surprisingly I am not crazy seeing kids with them. I think I'm about to take the plunge and have Cricket's hair cut shorter all around. Yikes - maybe we can get their hair done together when you're out here. We'll need support if the curls go! :) top

  • Blogger Jamie says so:
    9:48 AM  

    That's great that he was ok with getting a trim! Avery shakes her head back and forth as hard as she can when I try to snip her bangs.

    If his hair is like Avery's, it will grow pretty quickly, but in the meantime, it might be fun to try some new 'dos on him!

    You crack me up with your skulls on everything:) top

  • Anonymous Randi says so:
    10:06 AM  

    As a hairdresser myself, I'm so sorry that it didn't turn out the way you wanted, and that she didn't do what you wanted. I would have only taken off a little on his bangs. Looks like he didn't need much taken off. But he is still a doll! Kid's hair grows SO fast. Don't cut the curls if you don't want to, they are too cute;) top

  • Blogger Glass Half Full says so:
    10:18 AM  

    Oh boy -- what a story to remember!

    Wanna know who cuts Mark's hair? ME! With a clipper in hand too!

    Lori top

  • Anonymous BEa says so:
    10:53 AM  

    Have you tried brushing it to the side a little. it just looks too clean cut right now. anyway, even when he wears "skirts". i know you meant shirts but it was funny. top

  • Blogger Life With All Boys says so:
    11:53 AM  

    Those first hair cuts are SO hard. I'm not looking forward to Carters. But it will be awhile yet. top

  • Blogger Sheryl says so:
    2:37 PM  

    He looks so grown up with his hair cut!! My kids always acted like we were performing some sort of torture fit for the dark ages whenever it came to be hair cut time! top

  • Blogger JoynerFam says so:
    2:43 PM  

    Aww, I wish they had haircut places like that for me when i was a kid. I like his new do! I havnt talked to michael about tomorrow, arthur was really sick yesterday. Im almost positive were going to valpo though hope to see you! top

  • Anonymous Keri says so:
    9:02 PM  

    Aww, keep the curls or you will regret it. My son's first haircut at 19 months was much shorter than I wanted. That was when I decided to do all his haircuts myself from then on. I let his hair grow out cuz I wanted to keep it longish but the bangs trimmed. Now Loch has his curls back and his hair looks the way I had wanted it to look like when he got his first haircut. All I have to do is keep the bangs trimmed and eventually trim the back before it looks like a mullet. ;-)

    PS: Faux hawks look awesome but only on kids with thicker hair. Seems that X's hair is still a little thin so maybe wait a while on that? top

  • Blogger Heidi says so:
    9:46 PM  

    He still is so adorable. After a handful of "professional" cuts for my son I figured I could do just as good of a job. And really I bet you could too. I buzz him in the summer but in the winter let it go longer and use scissors on top I'm certain that if I can do it anyone can!!! top

  • Blogger Heaven Sent says so:
    9:36 PM  

    Keep the curls! But I do sympathize with the whole bang thing. Emma's are way too long, but I know she would not sit as good as X did. He's such a little trooper!

    With my sister's wedding coming up (Emma's the flower girl), I know her first hair cut is coming too, but I'm dreading it. I guess we all have to go through it at some point.

    And honestly, I think Steph's right... give it a few days and see if looks any better. Of course, we all still think he looks adorable! top

  • Blogger Arianne says so:
    7:35 PM  

    we had to go to the faux hawk after a couple bad cuts, too. its really cute. :) top

  • Blogger InTheFastLane says so:
    1:02 PM  

    I get my boys' haircut at the same place. I have always had good experiences there, but I do have to say that they were a little unnerved the first time I came in and when asked I said that my youngest doesn't watch TV. But, he does love those chairs. top