<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Just a couple of things recently that have required a second look...

Exhibit A: We were downtown on Sunday to see the Dalai Lama (more on that later), afterward we decided to walk down to the Gap to buy X a couple of these. I was waiting to use the restroom outside the fitting rooms on the baby/maternity floor and noticed that one of the stalls said "Nursing Lounge" on the door. That's wonderful right? Except for the fact that the symbol they used for "nursing" was a bottle. Does that make any sense? For some reason this never fails to get me steamed. The fact that bottle feeding is so pervasive in our culture that even places created to accommodate breastfeeding use the almighty bottle as signage just doesn't sit right with me. And no, I don't expect them to put a breast on the door, but come on, get creative! This article published in Mothering magazine last summer sums up my thoughts exactly.

Exhibit B: For about the past year, I have been volunteering to organize our presence at Babies R Us monthly "Baby Fair" for a local birth and parenting network (CHOICES). CHOICES is a non-profit organization and we're at Babies R Us every month to hand out information and invite new moms and mothers-to-be to our community meetings. It's wonderful and you can always count on couple of us babywearing, breastfeeding mama's to be there chatting it up.

At last month's fair a woman introduced herself to me (and Xavier, and CHOICES director and her son) as the new coordinator of such events, she made herself available should we need anything and to my surprise asked if she could contact us in the future for help on organizing educational seminars in the store. Pleasant enough. A couple days after the fair she calls for my address saying she just needs to send out some vendor info for us to review and sign before we can participate in any future fairs. Sounds painless enough. The info arrives and I'm ready to sign- until I come to the "vendor guidlines". There's a couple bullets about arriving on time, proper attire, and then a big bold bullet that says "NO CHILDREN ARE PERMITTED AT VENDOR TABLES". Hmmm, isn't this BABIES R US? It might not be a problem, but CHOICES is an organization promoting birth and parenting (attachment parenting!) And just about everyone who has ever worked our booth at the fair has had a nursing baby slung to them. Needless to say this is sort of a deal breaker.

Hmmm, no babies aloud at Babies R Us- makes perfect sense to me.

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    8:15 AM  

    Oh my goodness! First of all- the bottle thing totally has me confused. Then- the baby thing at BRU? That was like the only way we got people to come to our table! What the?

    Steph top

  • Anonymous Keri says so:
    8:27 AM  

    Oh, yuck and double-yuck! If I were you, I would print out that new breastfeeding logo and give it to the people at GAP to replace that bottle image. ;-) top

  • Blogger The Flip Flop Mamma! says so:
    9:00 AM  

    Things that make you go "hmmm..." top

  • Anonymous Peanut Butter and Jelly Boats says so:
    9:34 AM  

    Ugh, that's why the world needs people like you, to give other people wake up calls. I become a bit more aware every day that some people need to understand that children are not to be "put away" while the adults just go do whatever they want to do. top

  • Blogger Tracey says so:
    9:40 AM  

    Read the article - lots I agree with, some I think is a bit harsh, but I think the general reasoning behind every point is very valid.

    No babies at Babies R Us, eh? Yeah... that makes sense. Way to promote AP and show how to nurse and parent... Makes a LOT of sense. top

  • Blogger SingForHim says so:
    6:59 AM  

    The Babies R Us thing is totally backwards! You should take that up with the owner or corporate. Especially if you are wearing their slings. Maybe a little product placement will do the trick. top

  • Blogger New Mama's Nest says so:
    8:46 AM  

    Definitely not wearing their slings (nojo- yuck!) but are working our way up the corporate totem pole... top

  • Anonymous O Mama Mia says so:
    2:58 PM  

    I KNOW!!!! The whole bottle thing makes me boil!
    No babies at BRU? Has it been brought to their attention at just how idiotic they are making themselves look? top

  • Anonymous Mama C-ta says so:
    8:30 PM  

    Well I can see their point, when I go shopping at Babies R Us the last thing I want to see are babies. I mean come on, who wants to see BABIES when you're buying diapers and baby stuff.

    I'm taking a picture of my left boob (the good one) right now and sending it to all the Gaps to slap on their door ;) I love that onesie, I got a Gap gift card to buy some of those tanks for myself and they were all sold out in my size. Oh just realized they may have them online. Sorry gotta run!

    Can't wait to hear about the Dalai Lama!!! top

  • Blogger Staci says so:
    7:19 AM  

    I about choked when I read about the Babies R Us thing. Are you kidding me? top