<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

Everybody Poops

They do. And Xavier will be happy to tell you. Especially about Oliver (our French Bulldog). Several times a day X will bring me the leash and in the firmest voice command "Oliver...POOP!" He loves taking Oli out to do his dirty work. And Xavier well, he can poop with the best of them. The Baby Bjorn Little Potty is our friend. Two for the house, one for the car and life is good. He's been going poo in said potty 100% of the time since he got it around his first birth day... He's a pooping prodigy I tell you.

I have a friend, a former client in a group home where I worked, who loves to exclaim "Happy Pooper!" (such joy!) But unfortunately these past couple days have been a bit unhappy in the poop department for my little guy. Diarrhea, with a bit of blood and mucus mixed in for good measure. Sorry, I know, gross. Every hour or so, it's a mad dash to the potty, I lost count of how many times I woke up last night to the X-man chanting "Mama, poop! Poop, mama" So yes, gross and disturbing too. Especially when I called our pediatrician (very much a 'you can handle it at home' type of guy) and he immediately says- "Um, yeah, you need to get him to the ER right away". Yikes. Turns out he's had 4 kids this past week hospitalized for E Coli - and Xav's symptoms fit the bill.

And so we're off to the ER where we wait for 2 1/2 hours - in the waiting room. And while I'm ready to storm off or crawl out of my skin, my patient little patient doesn't seem to mind a bit. Finally we get back to a room and they draw some blood and "collect a sample" to culture and we wait some more. Actually, X took a catnap and I got some chatting in with my mama-in-love so it wasn't all that bad. But it's hard. And scary. The unknowns.

And so 5 hours later we're on our way home. We still don't know exactly what's going on. Right now, maybe a viral infection. We might know more when the cultures come back in a day or two. Or we might not. And so we wait. Thankfully Xavier seems to feeling fine, except for the few moments he's on the potty. And I seem to recover from the sight and smell, just in time for the next bout...

Ahh, the wonderful world of poop.

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    7:58 AM  

    Ah, when you become a mom it's so funny how poop is just as normal to talk about as anything else. I hope X is doing MUCH better today!

    Steph top

  • Blogger Jamie says so:
    10:24 AM  

    Oh my gosh, how scary!
    Hopefully it is a viral thing and he is back to normal in no time.
    Good luck! top

  • Anonymous O Mama Mia says so:
    11:36 AM  

    Awwww... you have poop, we got the puke. Funny how we become mama & it seems our worlds revolve around bodily functions.
    Praying for you & yours, hun! top

  • Blogger The Flip Flop Mamma! says so:
    4:16 PM  

    It makes me so mad that they would suspect E Coli but you still have to wait 2 days for the results?! Hello!

    Well, I hope he starts feeling better, and you better be thanking the poopy gods that he goes in the potty and your not having to change those yucky diapers all the time!!! top

  • Blogger Glass Half Full says so:
    5:39 PM  

    Steph IMed me everything and I've been praying for you guys. I know how ER visits go!!! Hope all is well soon enough. top

  • Blogger MorningSong says so:
    9:21 PM  

    Yikes! I hope you will get a good report when the tests come in!!

    I am impressed with your son being potty trained! I started training with my son a few months ago. We stopped because he began having loose bowels (he had molars breaking through - he always has a tough time with teeth). He is showing clear signs of being ready, but I need to get motivated! I just can't bear the teetee/poop clean-up phase again! My daughter is potty trained and I just hate phase 1! You have motivated me with your poop story!! I must get back to training!!

    Praying your report will be good!! Many blessings! top

  • Blogger JoynerFam says so:
    9:33 PM  

    OMG I hope your okay I know Im late to read your blog. I have you on my prayer line so I hope x's okay. I hate going to the hospital It stresses me out. Let me know if you need anything. mana top