<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

One, Two, Three Day

I googled breast cancer and stumbled across this beautiful image. It left me speechless. Made me think of so much... My Aunt. She's 3 years cancer free. Double mastectomy. Post Reconstruction. I can't imagine. I'm proud of her. So proud and of others like her. Women who have had to battle, who've lost a part of their bodies that we so value as a badge of femininity. If only we could do something, to reach out, to help. But we can, and my darling mother in love (David's mama) is a shining example-

"You would think a 51 year old mom/grandma like me would have more sense than to volunteer to walk 60 miles and camp out for the night! Well, I guess I don't, because after watching The 3-Day commercials for a month and feeling my heart broken AND inspired - each time - I made the commitment and registered!

I'm walking in honor of 3 AMAZING WOMEN:

1 - my cousin Karen Guito - a vibrant, beautiful 46 year old wife and mother of 4 - who is battling a re-occurrence and is currently undergoing rounds of painful chemotherapy.

2- Donna Szabo - who, as a SURVIVOR/THRIVER, is hard at work helping to transform others through Post Mastectomy Image and Self-Esteem Recovery through her hospital supported shop, "My Fair Lady". From prosthetics to wigs to receiving authentic encouragement from Donna, patients who enter seeking help, exit having received help AND HOPE.

3- Janice Vigna - a SURVIVOR/THRIVER who has been nurturing students for decades AND tirelessly devotes so much of her time and her talents to beautifying our world one plant and one smile at a time.

These three women have inspired me. These are the true Heroes I personally know of. I'm walking for them and for those in YOUR life who are YOUR heroes!

The event is called the Breast Cancer 3-Day. I am going to be walking (or crawling) 60 miles over the course of three days, for a cause devoted to helping women discover breast cancer early enough to beat it and committed to finally finding a cure.

As a condition of participation, I must raise at least $2,200. My personal goal is: $4,000!!! Proceeds benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund. (100% towards research and community outreach programs!)

So, yes, this is a plea for your emotional and financial support. I thank you in advance for WHATEVER you generously give."

I am so proud.

You can support her 3 day's here.

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger d. chedwick bryant says so:
    9:36 PM  

    when I first glanced at the photo I didn't even notice the breasts, I got a feeling of VICTORY! from it--then I noticed, but it was still very beautiful. top

  • Blogger Heidi says so:
    10:17 PM  

    This is beautiful and inspiring! top

  • Anonymous Mama C-ta says so:
    10:20 PM  

    This is awesome. When I see pics like that I feel ashamed for being so down on my body.

    And how sweet you call your MIL Mother In Love. top

  • Anonymous amanda says so:
    10:58 PM  

    Awesome! My friends and our moms are doing the Race for the Cure in May! top

  • Blogger Because Everything Matters says so:
    11:21 PM  

    What a beautiful picture to put the body of a woman into perspective!

    Your MIL is simply amazingly wonderful and I am glad to be supporting her! top

  • Blogger Tracey says so:
    7:50 AM  

    What a great shot and a brave woman to pose. top

  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    8:07 AM  

    You have a wonderful Mom in David's mom. How awesome for her to do this!!

    Steph top

  • Blogger Robin says so:
    9:59 AM  

    My MIL has always called me her daughter-in-love....

    We all know someone who has been affected by breast cancer. Monte's aunt is battling it right now. My MIL's friend died from it the morning I found out I was pregnant with Carter. Your MIL is an inspiration to us all. top

  • Blogger Carol Phillips says so:
    9:25 AM  

    Gorgeous photo. Gorgeous. My sister did this walk in Colorado a few years ago. Changed her life! top