<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

Nursing Names

Baby talk makes me gag. When adults do it anyway. And so we've never had cutesy pet names for anything in out house. (I won't deny, however, that the majority of words in my vocabulary now end in "y" ex. potty, lovey, ducky- you get the picture)

As far back as I can remember when it's feeding time at the zoo I've simply asked Xavier "Would you like to nurse?" or "Would you like some milk?" or used our sign for such (fist open and closed). And once he was able, he'd come up to me with that grin and those hungry eyes, signing away. Until a couple of weeks ago when X snuggled up to me and tried to make his way under my shirt chanting "nonny! nonny! nonny!" It was pretty obvious what he meant by "nonny" and so incredibly cute. Needless to say I've embraced my our new code word. (I have a friend whose daughter asks for "boobies" so I'm definitely alright with the nonny!)

And now that I'm nursing a toddler, our milky moniker has come in handy- more than once. Don't get me wrong I will nurse anytime, anywhere but I've entered the world of a boy who mid flirtation with the airline clerk decides to thrust his hand down my shirt, grab a handful and attempt to latch on with or without clothing in the way. (What happened to signing?!) In such an event, his coy "nonny?" elicits the response of "Oh, how sweet, is that what he calls his Grandma?" Um... sure. yes. Yes, it is! I'll take that over "the look" any day.

So I'm curious, do you have a covert nursing name? Did your nursling come up with it or you?

Labels: , ,

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger Glass Half Full says so:
    7:27 AM  

    I stopped nursing around 8-9 months, so my boys weren't old enough to say anything.

    Your airport story is hilarious! top

  • Anonymous Keri says so:
    8:00 AM  

    In American Sign Language, nicknames don't come up as often as it does in the English language (although my best friend's son came up with his own sign for when he wants to nurse). My son signs "milk" when he wants it although for a while now, he's been grabbing my breasts or pulling my shirt up without asking first. When he started doing that, I have been asking him, "What do you want?" He will respond with "Milk" and to that I will say "Milk what?" "MILK PLEASE!" Now he says the 'please' without any prompting. ;-) top

  • Blogger Tracey says so:
    8:14 AM  

    They all quit before they were sufficiently talking, but I was always the one to say "nurse" or "milk" like you. top

  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    8:19 AM  

    Oh, hilarious. Gray's hand moves faster down my shirt than I can catch him sometimes- anywhere, anytime! Lately all of a sudden he's been calling it "Bah" and I haven't figured out why yet, but that's his word!

    Steph top

  • Blogger Randi says so:
    8:25 AM  

    hehe...Nonny, huh? That's what we call my husband's grandmother :) I'm not a fan of baby talk, but sometimes I catch myself, feel silly and stop. top

  • Blogger Robin says so:
    10:02 AM  

    Monte didn't talk until he was 2 so when he wanted to nurse he just tried to "help himself". Hunter would say "milk" from an early age so we went with that.

    With Carter I say nurse or milk like you, but my hubby will say to him "you like your boobie". "go get some boobie". I keep telling him to stop before Carter can talk. I don't want a toddler asking for "boobie" in public either!!! top

  • Blogger Jamie says so:
    10:04 AM  

    No nicknames with us either, but by the time she was talking I wasn't nursing on command.
    It was funny to find this post here today because I just blogged about nursing, too. Being done, actually!

    And by the way, glad you are back, I missed ya! top

  • Blogger Stephanie says so:
    11:16 AM  

    At 11 mos, Ruby is just starting to talk. For a while she's been putting a handful of my hair in her mouth when she wants to nurse. Now she is adding "muh!" to that.

    I would also have a hard time hearing boobies (esp in public!). Nonny is a great name for it. :) top

  • Blogger Happi says so:
    11:30 AM  

    My mother in law calls it "noosh noosh" which I loathe. Especially when my husband says it. UGH! I just ask him, "Do you want to nurse?" and he turns his head and goes for it! top

  • Blogger Heaven Sent says so:
    12:25 PM  

    Welcome back! Sadly, Emma was too young to talk when we stopped, but I agree that sometimes they have better words for things than we do! top

  • Blogger tanya@motherwearblog says so:
    8:26 PM  

    My son called them "mimis," and he looked pretty puzzled when we introduced him to a relative named Mimi. top

  • Anonymous Mama C-ta says so:
    9:28 PM  

    It's so funny, I can picture X with a "hey lady, what's your name?" grin while bringing his head down and getting his latch on, all the while not breaking eye contact w/the hottie.

    We call it milky here - I think I started that. I tend to drop the "y" when in public though. Oddly though, Cricket doesn't say anything when he wants it, it's more of a sound. He's fully capable of saying milk b/c he does that for his Rice Milk but he just never has used an actual word for nursing. It's pretty funny, his sound. He always signed for it but only does that rarely now but he's now supposed to ask for it politely before grabbing. Hardly works. But now he does his "eh?" sound then "PEAS!" Or just a very pittiful "peeeaas?" like it's his last breath, only milky will keep him alive. Even in the middle of the night. Although I think it'd be hilarious if he started calling it boobie.

    Pretty soon though, if he doesn't wean, he'll be able to say "I'd like some of your breast milk, dear Mother" and unlace my corset himself ;) He's just about figured out the nursing bras...what are the signs of weaning again :) top

  • Anonymous Mama C-ta says so:
    9:29 PM  

    Oh, after reading Tanya's comment I just remembered, Cricket did go through a Mimi's phase too, not so much anymore though. Although I do occassionally get a "MINE!" with a grab. top

  • Blogger Heidi says so:
    10:43 PM  

    My son would mostly sign for it or I would ask him if he wanted "mama's milk" and he'd say that sometimes - though not really understandably so to others.

    I'm anxious to have another one to nurse in a few months...love those times together! top

  • Anonymous Whitney- Happy Jack's Mommy says so:
    7:52 PM  

    Okay...so ya'll are really going to laugh. My whole life my family has referred to breasts (more specifically those of a nursing mother) as geekas. hahah I don't even know where it came from. So I ask Jack if he needs some geeka. But that's what they've always been called. top