<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

On Notice

I was walking to the park with X this week when I noticed fliers posted on every telephone pole, street sign, lamp post we passed. Nothing to really draw your attention just a white piece of paper with black text slipped inside clear plastic, stapled everywhere. After passing a few I couldn't resist stopping to take a look. And I'm glad I did. The fliers were Police notice's informing us that a sex offender had recently moved to our neighborhood. I suddenly imagined myself thrust into Little Children. Oh, and I should probably add that we live right between two parks, an elementary school is just a few blocks away, the high school a couple of stoplights down...

This is something I don't often think about, something I don't want to have to think about, something that makes my blood boil, my stomach churn to think about. But I was forced to. I came home and looked online to see what this person looked like, where he lived, what his exact offense was and was horrified to find that are quite a few registered sex offenders around (29 to be exact), living or working in odd groupings centered around public parks and schools . I urge you to check the National Sex Offender Registry to check things out in your neighborhood. Just a few clicks to help keep our little one's safe.

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    7:37 AM  

    Yes, this is not good. I think we have the most around us since we live near all the apartments in this town! ICK!

    But God is good and he watches over us and our children... it is still imperative that we stay aware and informed.

    Steph top

  • Anonymous Peanut Butter and Jelly Boats says so:
    8:23 AM  

    Makes it worth the price to put in a big ol privacy fence in your back yard and just get a nice swing set for the kids! top

  • Blogger Tracey says so:
    8:32 AM  

    The registry is good for those who REGISTER and who have already been caught. I too, have been past a few local offenders' houses, trying to make myself feel better. But the people to be really worried about? The ones who haven't been caught yet.

    Yeah. I am sooooo not letting my 8 year old walk home alone yet. top

  • Blogger Robin says so:
    9:30 AM  

    I just checked. We meant to after we moved just never did. There is none in our neighborhood, the closest is 1.2 miles. Only 574 feet away from the school my boys go to. Scary! But I'm with Sheryl. I just keep my boys home. top

  • Blogger Heidi says so:
    11:22 AM  

    It is scary to think about. Thanks for the link too. top

  • Blogger Glass Half Full says so:
    1:06 PM  

    Steve and I look at our area frequently. Steph said the perfect word: ICK! top

  • Blogger Heaven Sent says so:
    10:59 PM  

    Scary. I am checking my area right now. Thanks! top

  • Blogger beth says so:
    1:14 PM  

    Aye yai yai (sp?). I've looked at that website in the past and just had to stop.

    On another note how did you like Little Children? Did you read the book or see the movie? I have to admit I absolutely loathed the book but now have this weird desire to rent the movie for some reason. Kate Winslet perhaps? top