<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

NICU, Doctors and Dentists Oh My!

Xavier had a developmental clinic check at the NICU on Wednesday. We look forward to these, and were looking forward to this one especially. A quick visit with the nurses who've come to mean so much to us, a physical therapy evaluation and a mini check-up by the neonatologist and we're on our way in no time (ok, so it's more like three hours time, it is after all a 'clinic')
So how'd it go?

Developmentally- language/motor skills, etc. Xavier is 'testing' well above his ACTUAL age! Physically- he weighs 26 lbs. 5 oz and is 31 inches tall, again above average for his ACTUAL age. We'll go back in 4 months just to make sure he's walking ok, but the doctor said there is no other reason for them to continue seeing him. To officially graduate by age 2 is a huge accomplishment! We are singing praises in the Allen household.

Little X has also endured his first trip to the dentist. Two different dentists in two days to be exact. His top four teeth were showing signs of decay (despite brushing twice a day before he even had teeth!) and it was just getting worse. Xav was quite the trooper. I thought the first visit had gone ok, until we got home and I replayed all the doc had said. He was a bit demeaning, told me I needed to wean X and would give me no real reason why he is having such a problem with his top four teeth while the bottom four are beautiful. He wanted me to bring X back so they could strap him to a table, drill and bond his teeth, while he was awake. Oh yeah, and I couldn't be present. No thank you!

So take two. This dentist was lovely! She explained that often preemies tooth enamel doesn't completely form leaving them vulnerable, and in X's case he was on tons of antibiotics as a little guy which weakens them further, and then iron supplements which stain and weaken even more. She did a quick cleaning in office and offered a much brighter outlook (and was supportive of extended nursing). We're brushing after every thing he eats and going back in a couple of months but she thinks if we stay on top of things, and do a little work down the road (with proper anesthesia and mama present!) his teeth will be just fine. Big sigh!

I need to take him in for an iron/anemia screen and his 15 month well check next week and then we are d-o-n-e with doctor's for a while!

Labels: ,

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger isunshine says so:
    6:38 AM  

    That is great news...aside from the dentist # 1. How awful! My mom is a dental assistant and I can't imagine Dr. Mike saying that to me!! I am so happy for you all that Xavier is doing so great and that nice dentist #2 had sooooo much better things to suggest! Good luck! top

  • Anonymous O Mama Mia says so:
    6:48 AM  

    Goody-bye Doc #1! And AMEN to Doc #2!!
    I remember when Starlet was around 18 months we both got thrush & just kept passing it back & forth. Three docs later they all were fist-pounding that I MUST wean her & that was the ONLY way to beat the thrush. But I knew she was no where ready for that. In desperation, I emailed Dr. Jack Newman & he gave me some homeopathic remedies (gentian violet, namely). We stuck it out & both got better, without weaning. American docs.. pft... what do thy know? ;)
    I'm so happy for you that God put that second Doc in your life!! top

  • Blogger Tracey says so:
    7:54 AM  

    That first dr sound AWFUL!! Glad you found someone nicer. And I never would have thought that about preemie teeth, but it makes sense! At least these aren't the permament ones, and you're on top of things early. top

  • Anonymous Keri says so:
    8:26 AM  

    Whoa, what an a**hole the first dentist was! I'm so glad you sought out a second dentist and that she was more supportive. Not many people realize that they have the right to seek out a second opinion. Doctors and dentists are not God after all. :-P Congrats to X for accomplishing his milestones according to his age! top

  • Blogger Lynanne says so:
    10:11 AM  

    What wonderful news!!!! Way to go Xavier!!!

    I got so annoyed as I was reading about dentist #1...I was already composing a comment in my head before I got to the next paragraph. I was relieved to see that you got a second opinion. I mean, come on, I'm not a dentist but even I knew those things. What the heck is wrong with that idiot!

    Another reason to keep nursing - although its true that if an older child falls asleep breastfeeding, the sugars in the milk can contribute to decay, its LESS likely to happen because breastmilk, unlike milk or formula, naturally resists bacterial growth (which forms the acid that attacks the tooth). The breastmilk is not the problem here and I'm so glad that dentist #2 gave you reasons for this and told to keep going! top

  • Blogger Rachelle says so:
    12:07 PM  

    Coming over from Lynanne's blog. So glad your little boy is doing well! top

  • Anonymous Bea says so:
    12:21 PM  

    Thought you might be interested in this. not sure exactly what is going on, this was an email from my school.
    Sign Language for Babies Workshop at PNC
    Tuesday, March 13, in Tech 134, 12:00-1:00

    Purdue University North Central will be the site of a presentation by Karen Horvath, director of Interpreting Services for Northern Indiana Communication Exchange, Inc. (NICE) of Mishawaka, who will host a workshop for parents and adults that will explore the possibilities of communicating with infants through basic Sign Language on Tuesday, March 13, from noon to 1 p.m. in Technology Building Room 134. The event is free and open to the public. An Interpreter for the Deaf will be provided.

    March is Disability Awareness Month and Horvath, a hard of hearing mother of a deaf child, will discuss recent findings that indicate infants and toddlers are able to express their wants, needs, and observations in a manner that is clearly understood by their adult using easily understood signing concepts. Scientific research is revealing that a baby can understand and express muc h more than what was previously thought. With each day, more and more people are coming to recognize the power of signing as it changes the way they view and interact with preverbal children.


    Karen Donah
    Continuing Lecturer and Coordinator
    of American Sign Language
    Phone: (219) 785-5432
    Fax: (219) 785-5518 top

  • Blogger Glass Half Full says so:
    1:07 PM  

    I used to work as a dental assistant/receptionist -- trust me, you can get all kinds of conflicting opinions about teeth!!! Glad X was treated and that all will be ok. :) SMILES! top

  • Blogger Romie says so:
    1:52 PM  

    Isn't it awful when doctors just scare you. Had a scary experience with one doctor, only to be told by another not to worry and it was easily solved. Ugh! top

  • Blogger The Flip Flop Mamma! says so:
    2:46 PM  

    Holy crap I can't believe that first dentish! What the heck man? I'm so glad you went to doc 2. Gee whiz! And I feel sorry for all the little ones, who have parents that actually keep taking them to doc 1. I'm angry just thinking about that guy! But I'm not in the greatest of moods today anyway, read my post to see why. I'm glad you had a wonderful 15 month check, ours sucked. Oh, but on the bright side, I got my gDiapers today!! Looking forward to using them!!! top

  • Blogger Robin says so:
    5:08 PM  

    I just had a great time catching up. I really missed a lot. And it was SOOO great to see you last month. We need to do that more often. Who was the "she" dentist? (email me) My boys see a "she" too and we all just LOVE her!!! top

  • Blogger Heaven Sent says so:
    8:40 PM  

    Great news on the clinic check up -- what a blessing!

    And I am so glad you trusted your instincts and saw another dentist. There's no reason you shouldn't feel 100 percent comfortable with your doctors (or dentists). I have to say I'm curious who would actually bring their child to dentist #1...

    Anyway, have a great weekend with your healthly little man! top

  • Blogger Allie says so:
    11:06 PM  

    Congrats to Xavier for doing so well at his check up! It is so very refreshing to hear of the positive stories about preemies.

    Your son is certainly a special and precious little boy!! top

  • Anonymous amanda says so:
    12:54 PM  

    Yay! I'm glad X is doing so well! I'm glad you got a better dentist. Especially one that is pro-extended bf. I can't believe that first doc. How strange. top

  • Blogger Alipurr says so:
    2:31 PM  

    Good for you for getting a second dentist's opinion. And good for you that you didn't let that first dentist get discouraged and think you actually had to wean before you are ready. It sounds like the second one had more up to date and relevant info pertaining to your situation, too. Congrats on your baby growing soo well. Good job, Mommy!! (I have 2 girls and 1 little boy on the way. Both my girls nursed as long as they wanted, and I know what it is like for people to try to push you to wean before you are ready) top

  • Blogger tanya@motherwearblog says so:
    3:20 PM  

    Wow! I'm new to your blog and am really enjoying it. Just wanted to tell you how great you are for getting a second opinion from another dentist.

    Tanya (http://breastfeeding.blog.motherwear.com) top