<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

The First Ever... DATE NIGHT!

Nearly 15 months. That's how long it had been since hubby and I'd gone on a proper date. You know, just the two of us, chivalry, romance the whole 9 yards. I am lucky enough to be married to my best friend, but even so, after that long without any special time for us, it's easy to start to forget just how much we like each other. To fall into the monotony of every day, to spend the few moments of togetherness we have each evening collapsed in front of the television, or stuck behind our respective computers. We made a conscious decision in becoming parents to be child-centered, to focus time and energy and resource into our baby boy and understandably that has removed time and energy from David and I. We've had little dates here and there, a candle-lit anniversary dinner (while my sister played with X upstairs), snuggling and movies (after Xavier was in bed), a game of cards or Scrabble (until our eyes glazed over). But we were starting to realize we really needed to put some more effort into us, not our Mama and Papa selves, but our fiery, flirty, madly-in-love, I-remember-you selves.

And so, Sunday we hatched a plan and for the first time ever entrusted Xavier's care with someone else. Not just anyone of course- his beloved Grandmama, Grandpapa, Uncle Tim and Molly(dog) A huge step for me. There were a few tears (from me, Xavier happily waved bye-bye) and we set off. On our own. For the first time. In a long time. Instantly the tension melted away. We held hands and kissed and talked, and talked, and well I'll leave a few things to the imagination. David opened doors for me and squeezed into the booth beside me as we feasted on Japanese delights. We took a walk, made each other laugh, made a stop for an impromptu silly gift exchange (I got a flashlight, low rider car and lint rollers). Just like old times. It was glorious. Much needed. Like falling in love all over again. Butterfly's and all. We are buddies and lovers and soul mates (yes, I believe in such a thing). We compliment each other perfectly, but I'd started to forget...

We were only away for an hour or two and returned to find Xavier had as much fun as us. The delight in his eyes as we came up the walk was enough encouragement to do it all over again. And we will. Regularly. Today there is a bit more spring in our steps, broader smiles, warmer embraces. We are renewed and refreshed and reminded that we love each other more than ever. We needed it. Not to 'get away' from our son, but to put some undivided attention into us for a change- and when it's all said and done, if we need an excuse, taking care of us is the best thing we can do for him.


Thanks baby ;)

Labels: , ,

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    6:01 AM  

    What a sweet, sweet post!! I am so glad you had such a perfect date. You deserve it, and you & David can see your amazing job as parents paying off abundantly in Xavier... the proof is in the puddin'!

    Steph top

  • Blogger Glass Half Full says so:
    7:48 AM  

    Oh yes, I remember the first time I left my firstborn in someone else's care (even if it was just my parents). I was so nervous -- like I was missing something!!!

    Good for you and I hope you have many more date nights ahead...... top

  • Blogger The Flip Flop Mamma! says so:
    8:27 AM  

    You guys are such an adorable couple! I'm so glad you had fun and took some "us" time. I'm also glad X was in good hands and had a great time also! top

  • Blogger Robin says so:
    8:57 AM  

    Congrats on Date Night! They are needed. We haven't had one since Carter was born almost 9 months ago. But like you, I have a hard time leaving my babies. I know I need to just DO it and all will be fine, it's just getting there. Maybe next month!! top

  • Blogger Growing in Grace (Nicole) says so:
    11:30 AM  

    It's so hard to get out isn't it? Pete and I keep saying we're going to one of these days, but it's not happening. I'm glad you had such a good time. Butterflies even!! Godd for you guys! top

  • Anonymous amanda says so:
    4:39 PM  

    My 14 month old spent the night away for the first time last night! Our reason wasn't romantic, tho'. My dh & I had to go to court for a traffic ticket EARLY in the morning. Oh well, reading your story was fun! top

  • Anonymous O Mama Mia says so:
    5:05 PM  

    Awww... YEAH for couples! You guys are fab!
    Just Saturday night was our first night out together alone, as well. In THREE years! I swear I'll find time to blog about it!
    I love this pic of you guys. Glowing happy & great backdrop, to boot! top

  • Blogger Cyclone says so:
    6:26 PM  

    Sounds like an amazing night!! I'm glad you had such a wonderful time. top

  • Blogger Heidi says so:
    11:38 PM  

    You guys are adorable!!!! top

  • Blogger Shelly says so:
    5:48 AM  

    Wonderful post, I'm so glad you had such a good time! top

  • Blogger Staci says so:
    8:28 AM  

    Ok, taking the risk of being VERY NOSEY...is that a picture from your date?? Or an old photo? I cannot figure out where it would be?
    Lovely picture!! You make a very cute couple. :) top

  • Blogger New Mama's Nest says so:
    9:17 AM  

    That is an old photo. I don't have ANY recent one's of us together! We were in Rome standing atop the Colosseum. (David's hair is short now and that baby is no longer in my belly) :) top

  • Anonymous Mama C-ta says so:
    7:35 PM  

    How sweet! We really, really, really (did I say really?) need some date nights and work in general. Things got pushed to the back burner and well now we're in a rut.

    We started to get on a date night schedule (think it took us almost 15 months too) but then the move happened and that went on longer than planned and now we're dateless again! I'm so jealous of everything you wrote b/c I remember all those feelings, just haven't had them in a while. But SO very happy for you guys, you really do sound like soul mates. (YES I believe in that too!)

    It is hard leaving him and I'm so happy you said "not to get away from X" b/c it's often interpreted that way.

    You guys look great together, what a pretty family you are! Yay for true love! top

  • Anonymous Peanut Butter and Jelly Boats says so:
    9:39 PM  

    It's so good for all of you to get away for a bit! Good for you! top

  • Anonymous Anonymous says so:
    9:48 PM  

    I loved your post because I am a big fan of creative date nights. So often married couples think that date night has to be expensive or elaborate. But as you showed us, it really is about being fully present with each other.

    Gerry
    www.byhusbandsforhusbands.com top