<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

Flushed Away


I had every intention of cloth diapering Xavier from the start. I didn't know anyone who didn't use disposables so I'd begun the daunting task of researching the "how to's" and "what's best's" online. David wasn't exactly excited about it but after I pointed out that I'd be the one changing most of the diapers and doing all the laundry he let the grumbles subside a bit. Then, as you know, our little bundle of joy made his grand entrance a few months ahead of schedule and well, diapers were the last thing on my mind. They use Pampers in the NICU so he lived in their preemies for a while and when it was time to go home I compromised and decided if I was going to use paper diapers I'd at least use Seventh Generation's chlorine and fragrance free nappies.

It always still bothered me though- all that waste. I read somewhere that it can take a 'disposable' diaper up to 500 years to decompose. And while I know you're supposed to flush the poo anyone who's nursed a baby know that until they are well established on solids their daily deposits aren't going anywhere but the diaper- add that to the landfill... But I'd gotten used to the simply changing and throwing away... and the initial investment of going cloth... and the daunting options... and the laundry... and that study I read saying cloth really weren't any better environmentally when you took into account all the water and energy used washing... and well, I just kept making excuses.

Xavier's in the midst of potty training so I figured now would be a good time (ha!) to look into other options and I'm happy to report I've finally made a change! We're alternating between Under the Nile's fitted diaper (because I only have two!) and the amazingly flushable gDiapers. The Under the Nile's are glorious, so soft I want a pair and if I could afford to buy a truckload I probably would. And the gDiaper, those gDiapers...

Before buying the 'starter kit' I read reviews on several different sites ranging from "These are the best thing ever" to "These are the worst things ever" to "Ugh, I have to change my baby EVERY time he pee's or poops" ... Um, aren't you supposed to do that anyway? Call me crazy but I do change Xavier after EVERY time he goes, save the long car trip or overnight where he might pee a couple times, but multiple poops in one diaper? GROSS! ok, back on task...

So there definitely is a learning curve with the g's at least for someone who's never done the whole cover, liner, insert bit before. But after a couple of days and one leak (more to do with his boy-ness pointing in an odd direction that the diaper I do believe) we've gotten the hang of it. They are fit great (bikini style- great for huge bellies!) and velcro on the back side which is is really nice when babe is trying to crawl away from you. No leaks other than that mentioned and for the stage we're in at least I like that they don't hold a lot. In the event he does go in his diaper rather than on the potty he knows right away and asks to be changed or go to the bathroom. After two weeks he has yet to poo in one, so I can't report on that but I promise to keep you posted! They are the perfect middle ground I do believe. My only complaints would be that the insert could be a bit softer and that they come in such happy colors. I know they're cute! but I'd love a more natural option. But best of all, when a diaper needs a changing you remove the insert and flush it all away where it belongs. No waste!

Labels: , , ,

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger Tracey says so:
    11:14 PM  

    Good luck! I hope it works out for you. My sister did cloth diapering on her first and slowly went from 100% cloth to 100% disposable... Not quite sure how or why that happened... I think it's because she didn't buy the really good ones with great covers.

    Maybe you can mess around with them and make some of your own for your online store!! top

  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    12:10 AM  

    Now see, he's just the cutest thing even when it's a picture of his heiney! I am so excited at Xav's success so far with pottying, too!

    Oh, and you're not getting out of posting a picture from back in the school day... don't hold out on us!
    ; ) top

  • Blogger Shortie says so:
    8:43 AM  

    I have never known anyone to successfully do it! I never thought that hard with my children, I think now I should have. I love your blog, many read you so I had to come see.

    :) top

  • Anonymous Keri says so:
    11:00 AM  

    I was going to blog about the 'g' diapers but haven't gotten around to it. Anyway, I bought these diapers because we needed a night time solution. We have been using Fuzzi Bunz since Loch was 3 weeks old (he was too skinny for the cloth until then). But the FB didn't hold up well overnight and even with double inserts, it looks so bulky and uncomfortable for Loch. I felt so guilty about using disposables, even the 7th Generation diapers, because of how long it takes to decompose.

    Enter the 'g' diaper. They are so cute looking but my only gripe is that the insert bunches up so if Loch pees, sometimes they leak. Also he gets red marks from wearing them...not the "underwear" lines but really red rash-y marks in the area under the velcro straps. I have NO idea why this happens. Yeah, I gotta call the company and see what I'm doing wrong but I'm sooo busy these days! Aren't we all? ;)

    HOWEVER, I was able to solve the night time dilemma. I use the Fuzzi Bunz cloth diapers and put in one cloth insert PLUS the 'g' insert as a doubler. It is less bulky and a more comfortable fit for Loch. Even better, he stays dry all night long!

    Honestly, the FBs are so much easier to use than the 'g' because there is a three step process when using 'g' diapers (cover, liner and insert) whereas FB has a two step process (cover and insert). And the flushing is more work than tossing the FBs in the washer! But that's just me. The important thing is that there is less waste in landfills, especially human waste. =) top

  • Blogger Staci says so:
    11:24 AM  

    Hmmmm. I still don't know if I should try the gDiapers or just invest in cloth. I'm pretty comfortable with the Seventh Generation too. Yikes, decisions, decisions.

    Are they worth the money? top

  • Blogger New Mama's Nest says so:
    12:07 PM  

    Staci,
    You're back! If you're going to eventually invest in cloth I'd say go for it now, but the g's are a good middle ground I think... As far as money goes, I ordered the starter kit from babycenter and have since ordered by the case directly from gDiapers for exactly the same price I pay for a case of 7th Gen. plus I get about 5 extra diapers... top

  • Anonymous Peanut Butter and Jelly Boats says so:
    1:29 PM  

    Wow! I really considered cloth diapering with my first but the limited research I did before he was born showed me that it was too expensive for us at the time. I am going to look into those links that you have posted. Thanks! top

  • Blogger The Flip Flop Mamma! says so:
    3:47 PM  

    We did cloth until we moved here and don't have access to doing laundry daily. We just talked today about going cloth again when we move and have the new baby, just to save money, and the enviro. My hub hates changing cloth diapers too!!

    I just went to the gDiaper site, and talked to him and i think we're gonna try these. All in all it seems that they are just a little more expensive (for the liners) than disposable diapers, but they are soo much better than disposables, as far as the enviro is concerned. Also, the site says that you can use cloth inserts, which is great because I have a million of those!!

    Once I start getting low on the diapers I just bought today (darn it!) I'm going to order a started kit for the Beast, and if they work out I'm going to get a kit for the new babe!!

    I'm so glad you posted on this! top

  • Blogger Heidi says so:
    9:42 PM  

    I'm glad you posted about these. I've been wondering but since we've done cloth from day 7 I didn't really feel it was worth the investment now.

    I'm just about to go out and by our first underwear (yikes) so I'll be talking about that soon I'm sure!

    I'm glad they work well and will probably buy some for the new addition for when we go on trips and other times when it's awkward to use cloth. Thanks again for the reaview! top

  • Blogger veganbaby says so:
    10:23 PM  

    I have heard wonderful reviews of gdiapers. We have spent way too much on cloth diapers to justify looking into a new diapering system. But that doesn't stop me from looking. :) top

  • Blogger Kelly says so:
    7:10 AM  

    My SIL is cloth diapering and she's found a service that provides the diapers. For twins, yes I said twins, she pays less than what it would cost to diaper them with disposable. I'd check around your area for a deal! top

  • Blogger Qtpies7 says so:
    5:50 PM  

    I completely love cloth! I use BumGenius! diapers, and they are really easy, and not too bad in price! They fit from birth to 30lbs! No covers, just stuff when you fold so you can diaper and go! And they resale very well.
    I am a serious cloth diaper addict! top

  • Blogger Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) says so:
    6:19 PM  

    i am hoping to try harder with alternatives on this baby. But when Sue tried cloth, Julia got such terrible rashes!

    it is brutal how much waste we make with disposables! top