<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

Wheee! Pee...

Xavier's little potty has sat in our living room for a couple weeks now. About once a day he shows interest in it and I remove his diaper and set him on it, like a true man he asks for a book and I sit with him and read until he signs 'all done'. No results, but he's seemed to really enjoy the routine. Today, however... David and I put X on his potty to read his animal book over... and over.. and over again as he demonstrated how he can "quack" and "woof" and "cock-a-doodle-doo". Eventually tells us he's done and I help him down - but wait! There's pee in there! Celebration, clapping, and cheers ensue! and then the day moves on. After all that had to be a fluke...

Fast forward an hour or two, Xav and I are immersed in our cars and trucks - pushing and chasing and vrooming all over the place, when he gets this funny look on his face, crab walks it to the pot and says "Uh-Oh!" I run over take off his diaper, help him up, grab the book and immediately he pee's. In his potty. Again! So cool! Is this supposed to be happening?!

I am definitely entering uncharted territory here! Do we get more proactive with the training or continue following his lead - I certainly don't want to put any pressure on him, but if he's initiating I don't want to hold him back...

Labels:

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger Happi says so:
    8:31 AM  

    This is a wonderful thing. Keep encouraging him, get excited and throw a party everytime he goes. Don't be disppointed or surprised if he doesn't show consistency. He'll do it when he's ready. Going to the bathroom is the ONE thing these little ones can control. The less you push, the better. : ) Good Luck! top

  • Blogger Robin says so:
    10:37 AM  

    WOW!!! I think you should just follow his lead. He is still so very young, but yes, you don't want to hold him back. top

  • Blogger The Flip Flop Mamma! says so:
    12:18 PM  

    Yay!! X!!! that's great! I think I would just continue in following his lead. I have no idea as my mom potty trained SlowMo, so this will be new for me when the Beast gets there. I'm really excited for you though!! Don't forget to write it down in his babybook!!!

    I mentioned your Tasty Vegan site on my blog today! top

  • Blogger Because Everything Matters says so:
    3:24 PM  

    It is quite early, but follow his lead! My oldest (being a girl though) did the same thing. Unfortunately for me, the child care I had for her didn't continue the "lead" and we lost progress. When we resumed, I called in the band, caterer, you name it and we had a partay! top

  • Anonymous Bea says so:
    3:27 PM  

    That is so Awesome. I can just imagine the excitement. : ) Congrats Xavier! top

  • Blogger isunshine says so:
    4:10 PM  

    That is great! Isabella did the same type thing when she started. She started very young too, about 13 or 14 months. I encouraged a little, but let her lead. We clapped and sang when she went potty, and when she didn't, it was no biggie. I will have to say though, when she realized (after a couple months)that when she went in the potty, her diaper stayed comfy and dry, she started going a LOT more. top

  • Blogger Jamie says so:
    4:37 PM  

    Wow, that's amazing! I've never heard of a baby that young using the potty. Good for you guys! top

  • Blogger Christie says so:
    6:55 PM  

    yayyy! how exciting! we're not there yet, so i'll just peek in and see how you all do! good luck, sounds like he's doing great! top

  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    7:13 PM  

    I thought I commented here already. My goodness this is just too awesome! I think you're obviously on the right track and just keep letting him tell you what comes next! I'm telling you, that Xav is a GENIUS. Something special for sure. top

  • Blogger Tracey says so:
    11:19 PM  

    Don't ask me. I am SO not allowed to give any other advice on potty training other than "go with the flow..." (no pun intended) top

  • Blogger veganbaby says so:
    11:36 PM  

    I had to see who took the name veganbaby. I followed your blog form here. LOL. That was DD's nickname in the womb so I wanted to use it for the blog.

    WTG! We did EC with DD up until she was six months. We stopped and are now in the mist of potty training. We don't push it either. We just follow her cues. top