<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

The New Years Curse? *updated

Last New Year's was a joy. Yes, X was in the hospital but at 2 weeks old he was on an upswing, had begun breathing a bit on his own and was digesting a bit of my milk via feeding tube. All of this meant more time out of bed and in my arms. New Years Eve, David and I stayed at the hospital and rang in the New Year at Xavier's bed side with his nurses. New Year's day was wonderful, for the first time I was able to hold my baby boy hours uninterrupted. David and I went home that night for dinner with a peace we hadn't known in a while. Our darling was doing so well. The phone rang a few minutes after we'd been home. Hearts sank. David answered. My eyes pleaded. He tried to repeat what they were saying. It was the doctor. That meant trouble. Stopped breathing. Intubated. We couldn't get back fast enough.

Long story short Xavier had a serious respiratory infection. His throat had clogged with mucus that had probably been draining as I held him upright, but when placed on his back blocked his airway. He completely stopped breathing, had to be bagged and intubated. Put back on the ventilator, a machine taking every breath for him. A few days of fighting, another blood transfusion and slowly our fighter regained momentum.

Fast forward to this year. Glorious New Year's Eve party with family and friends. Home snuggled together in bed. Excited for the fresh start a new year brings. Looking forward to relaxing New Year's day, maybe removing every trace of Christmas and getting our house back to normal. Soon we're fast asleep. David wakes me up about 4am, he's shaking, tells me he's freezing and can't move. I touch him and he's burning up. Socks and blankets, get him up and moving, heating pad and tea. The chills subside a bit. His stomach is upset too, we suspect food poisoning or the flu. We're back to sleep soon and he wakes feeling a bit better. After breakfast I head upstairs to indulge in Xavier's morning nap with him. As soon as I wake up it hits me, I'm freezing, stomach churning... yuck!

It's the flu I'm convinced. We're feeling a bit better, still weak but starting to recover. I'm convinced this has become our unwelcome, very unwelcome, New Year's tradition. Hope your's is off to a better start!

*I wanted to reference my darling husbands post on this sick stuff... we're blaming it all on the tattooing...

Labels: ,

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger Robin says so:
    11:45 PM  

    Oh no, you too? Everyone is sick right now. I long for summer.... top

  • Blogger Glass Half Full says so:
    7:14 AM  

    UGH -- SO SORRY!!! I swear there is so much going around....it's ridiculous!!!

    Mark is finally better after a week's worth of diarrhea. :( BLAH!

    Hope you guys are feeling better!!! top

  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    9:06 AM  

    I wish you all well very soon!!! top

  • Blogger beth says so:
    1:39 PM  

    Oh yuck! Hope you are well soon.

    Every time I read more about all you went through with Xav in the beginning I am amazed all over again. I'm just so happy that in the end he became the happy and healthy boy he is. top

  • Blogger Lynanne says so:
    7:50 AM  

    Now see, thats just not fair. TWO New Year's in a row with such awful events is just not allowed!

    I think you should get a do-over. Unlesss this means the rest of the year HAS to get better? I hope everyone is feeling well again now! top