<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

The Name Game

I read Stephanie's post this morning and got to thinking about our little one's name. I think one of the most exciting parts of becoming a parent is naming you child. (One of the greatest responsibilities too!) The second I became pregnant I started dreaming up names. Ever where I went I listened carefully to people's name- strained to hear what the mother in the grocery store was yelling across the aisle. David and I would lie in bed at night at rattle off names that popped in our heads, people we'd known, celebrities, sometimes coming up with really awful one's just for laughs. Thankfully we had the same opinions about most which made things pretty easy.

We didn't know if we were having a boy or girl and didn't want to find out so we kept a running list of favorites for each gender. We made the mistake of sharing a few with family and friends... we loved the name Anouk (after falling in love with the little girl from Chocolat) you can imagine the faces our family made about that one. And I loved Jackson for a little boy, we'd call him Jack I thought... until one of David's co-workers pointed out that there's a country singer (I know nothing about country music) named Allen Jackson and our boy would be Jackson Allen, yeah - that was just too much for me. At which point we decided to keep out lips sealed.

And then our babe surprised and decided to he was ready to be out in this big world. We only got a brief glimpse at him, but David and I looked at each other and just knew he was to be named Xavier. His middle name took a little longer - I wanted something a bit unique, David more traditional. He wanted his middle name to be Michael, the same as his (my brother's middle name too). And I just wasn't sure. He went without a middle name for a day or two (no rush since we weren't going anywhere) and after thinking it over (and talking to hubby and my brother) I relented and went with Michael. And it just fit perfectly.

And so our boy was named - Xavier, means "new house or dwelling" (also the patron saint of the Orient and missionaries if you're into that sort of thing)- Michael, means "who is like God".

I'd love to hear how you came up with your children's names too. Let me know in the comments if you'd like
!

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger Jamie says so:
    9:43 AM  

    Xavier is a darling name! I am wondering if you guys call him "X". Too cute!
    I, too, was SO excited to pick out baby names - so we got to it right away when I found out I was pregnant. I wanted a name that was unique but not weird, so I read the top 100 baby names list to make sure that I didn't pick any of those. Unfortunately, as I read the list, I saw the name Avery. Somehow I had never heard that name used for a girl (although I am finding out it is quite common), and it grabbed me and wouldn't let go. My husband agreed that it was a good one for us, and no other names were even a close second. We came up with a boy name that we liked pretty well but were never passionate about any boy names... which didn't matter in the end! top

  • Blogger Robin says so:
    10:38 AM  

    I love this post and Steph's too. I already posted something before I read these, so I think I will do one on my boys names tomorrow.

    p.s. I knew an Xavier years ago. Yours is much cuter! top

  • Blogger Glass Half Full says so:
    11:45 AM  

    We had a difficult time coming up with our boys' names. Since Steve is in education, alot of names remind him of misbehaving teens!! :) I came up with Matthew and Steve chose Mark.

    MATTHEW: Gift of God
    MARK: Warrior top

  • Blogger The Flip Flop Mamma! says so:
    11:50 AM  

    I just went and copied/pasted my comment from Steph's post!! Here it is!!
    SlowMo, Aliyah means Exhaulted. Which I love!!

    With theBeast, Selah I really REALLY liked the name Teagan, and for a girl. TheFM hated it!!! I fought and fought, and I'm now happy becuase she doesn't seem like a Teagan. Selah means (they're actually not sure what it means, but some theologians think) Crescendo, Dramatic pause, reflect. It's definatley a music term and is found in the book of Psalms.

    Both of my girls names are hebrew. If this next baby is a boy, theFM wants a junior. gag me. But at least it would be Jonathan, and that's a hebrew name as well. I really want to name him David. David would be his middle name. If it's a girl, we have no idea. We can't agree on anything yet. The 2 names so far that he's said were considerable are Lydia, and Violet. I'm still not sure though. top

  • Blogger Tracey says so:
    2:19 PM  

    I think I'll double copy you guys and post at my own blog... Good idea, and thanks cuz I have been lacking in ideas lately!! top

  • Blogger Kelli in the Mirror says so:
    3:31 PM  

    Our daughter's name is Gillian Arizona. We had decided on Gillian before we ever got pregnant, although it took us awhile to settle on spelling it with a J or a G. Arizona Belle was my husband's great-grandmother's name and we heard it during a family funeral we attended while I was pregnant.
    Sometimes it sounds a tiny bit hippie and unusual to me, but I really love its uniqueness. Hopefully she won't grow up to hate it.

    We're not settled on a boy name yet, although we'll be needing one in about five weeks. top

  • Blogger Christie says so:
    4:09 PM  

    everyone equates my son's name, aidan, with sex and the city. but i swear i have loved that name for years before, and as my husband is irish, turns out aidan means "little fire" in gaelic, and it fits him amazingly perfect! (having been early and being such a little man too). we also chose michael for the middle name because that's the name of my husband's father, who passed away a few months before we were married. i love your son's name! top

  • Blogger Keri says so:
    12:24 PM  

    Hiya! I don't know if I posted a comment here yet but I recently started reading your blog (found it via another site). ;)

    The moment we found out we were pregnant, we came up with a name for a girl (it's a secret as it is not been taken yet) and a name for a boy: Lochlan which is Scottish for "from the water." The middle name took a while. We realized that our baby was going to be a Leo, we knew then that we just HAD to give the boy an 'E' middle name because our last name begins with 'O'. I didn't want anything common like Ethan or Evan. Finally, when I was about 7 months pregnant, I found a New Age Baby Name Book and "Etu" (AH-TOO) was listed. I fell in love with it because of its uniqueness and the meaning: Native American for 'sun.' As it turned out, Lochlan Etu was born in water at sunrise. Such a fitting name! ;) top

  • Blogger New Mama's Nest says so:
    12:36 PM  

    Keri,
    Thanks for your comment - I LOVE your sons name and his birth sounds beautiful! I was hoping to check out your blog but didn't see the link on your profile - could you post it here when you get a chance?
    -Ashlee top

  • Anonymous Barbara says so:
    7:18 PM  

    Love your page! I just started reading it a couple of days ago, but I'm right on board with your parenting philosophy.

    We named our daugher Magnolia Arlen because one of our favorite Grateful Dead songs is Sugar Magnolia; I have a grandmother who was called Mags (short for Margaret) and when we saw the ultrasound and found out it was a girl, we thought Maggie. top

  • Blogger Keri says so:
    10:07 PM  

    I don't usually check back on comments that I leave but luckily I did this time! For some reason, my blog doesn't show up on my profile anymore. If you know how to remedy that, do let me know. Here's my site:

    http://jimikiwi.blogspot.com

    On the left sidebar, you should see a link to my birth story. Enjoy! =) top