<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

The Dangers of Co-Sleeping


  1. Parents and infants sleep better
  2. Breastfeeding is easier
  3. Babies get more caregiving
  4. Parents and infants become more connected
  5. Higher self-esteem
  6. More positive behavior
  7. Increased life satisfaction
  8. Promotes sensitivity
  9. Reduces bedtime struggles
  10. It fosters an environment of acceptance
All of this topped with a pre-warmed bed, an entire night of snuggles and waking up to a chubby little hand tracing your cheek...sounds pretty risky doesn't it?!

Labels: ,

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Anonymous Peanut Butter and Jelly Boats says so:
    11:56 PM  

    That's a VERY sweet picture of X. Although I have to say, maybe it's because I'm such a light sleeper, I do NOT sleep better when baby is in bed with me. Every little move (or sound) he makes wakes me up. Hmm I haven't mastered it yet but I'm sure that co-sleeping is wonderful for all involved. top

  • Blogger New Mama's Nest says so:
    12:20 AM  

    PB&J - It's different for everyone of course and this is what works best for us. I slept very fitfully at first with Xavier (and David was scared to sleep with us for a while) my trick was to put him in the crook of my arm, that way I knew where he was and that he was safe in while snoozing - we tried the co-sleeper attached to the bed too, but he's always ended up in my arms :) top

  • Blogger isunshine says so:
    5:18 AM  

    I still co-sleep with my daughter (3yrs old) and we LOVE it. She and I both sleep better together. Whenever I tell someone that she sleeps with me, they say, "Oh, that's a bad habit to get into. Hopefully she'll grow out of it soon." And of course I'm thinking, "Why would I want that to happen?" :) top

  • Blogger Lynanne says so:
    7:36 AM  

    What a wonderful post! And such a great title - LOL! I tensed when I saw it. I had clicked on the link from your comment on my blog (thank you so very much, btw - you reassurance is very helpful and means a lot to me.) and thought "Uh oh, am I going to be able to continue reading this?" When the text of the post loaded I could only smile.

    We have coslept with all three of our kids (and plan to continue with the 4th). People always think I'm one of THOSE wacky parents when I tell them this, but I'm not - I'm a medical professional. (okay, maybe I'm still a bit wacky sometimes).

    I just have to point out one more benefit - a reduction in SIDS deaths. In fact, pediatricians have recognized this by suggesting that a newborn sleep in close proximity to the parents (rather than in a crib in their own room). They aren't brave enough to recommend cosleeping, but hopefully this too will change with time.

    Thank you again and I look forward to reading more of your blog! top

  • Blogger The Flip Flop Mamma! says so:
    9:00 AM  

    I love LOVE love co-sleeping. Now that we're expecting another baby, I've been talking about getting her out of our bed...I just don't know how. And it makes me sad to be without her. She wakes up smiling when she's next to me, and during naptime when I'm not in bed when she wakes up, she cries.

    I also read an article that talks about how mom's who co-sleep, and babywear...actually wake up a couple seconds before their baby does!! So the mom is up if the baby begins crying or anything. Pretty cool! top

  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    12:21 PM  

    LOVE IT!!! You know I love co-sleeping! Excellent list!! ; ) top

  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    12:22 PM  

    P.S. Love the shirt! top

  • Blogger Staci says so:
    2:51 PM  

    Amen!

    I heart co sleeping!! top

  • Blogger Heidi says so:
    3:32 PM  

    Love it! We did it for about 18 months or so and then we all started sleeping less and he would still wake up every two hours to nurse. I think we all were just ready for the switch and then after a few nights he slept throught the night like he never had before. I guess we all have to listen to our instincts and do what feels the most comfortable and boy for those first 18 months co-sleeping was SO perfect for all of us! top

  • Blogger Because Everything Matters says so:
    7:03 PM  

    I loved co-sleeping! I still sleep with my 5 year old when possible and now matter how big she gets, she still fits in the crook of my arm! Whenever dad's on midnights she looks forward to it! It's thought of as a treat now that she's older and I still reminisce the days when my girls were teeny tiny and I did it.... Memories.... top

  • Blogger Elizabeth F. says so:
    8:23 PM  

    We co-sleep as well. With the arrival of baby #2, we decided to expand our family bed. We put the queen mattress on the floor and right next to it we put a twin that we had. We made them the same height. My hubby would sleep on the twin and Me and the babes would sleep on the queen. Friends who came over who did not co-sleep thought it was the biggest and best bed ever and had no idea what we had done! We have 3 children now. Our 16 mos. old is still with us, the 4 yr. old visits in the middle of the night and our 6 year old pretty much sleeps on her own, but the door is always open to her. It worked out for us because we were willing to make some adjustments to our bed. Otherwise we would be so uncomfortable.

    I could never bring home my new baby and put them into another room all by themself! That's CrAzY talk! LOL! top

  • Blogger Robin says so:
    10:42 PM  

    I sleep with Carter too. I like having him there with me. After 9 months it's hard to just separate yourself and put baby in another room. His crib is in our room too for those "adult together" moments. :)

    Hunter comes in sometimes still when my husband goes to work. (4:30) He says I'm lonely..... top

  • Blogger Cyclone says so:
    7:23 PM  

    I haven't been keeping up with your blog so I just saw this post and spied the quilt in the background! :) I'll have to point this post to my mom to say "SEE, they really did like it!" She was honestly worried.

    I can't wait to cosleep! Whenever we babysit we always have the kids sleep with us; #1 I don't have anywhere else for them to sleep and #2 I especially wouldn't want to put someone else's baby in another room--I feel better when they're close! top