<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

Am I Through Being Cool?

(The fact I'm posting this should answer that for you...)

I used to think I was kind of cool... in that kind of geeky sort of way. But tonight as I was getting ready for bed and looked in the mirror I realized how far downhill things have gone. I was (am) wearing my thrift shop, 70's style running shorts paired with a charity walk sweatshirt. (The sweatshirt is the issue here) A white sweatshirt with pink and blue writing on the front, the logo's for several local businesses on the back. While it serves it's purpose being both warm and comfortable, I realized it's not far removed from the crochet sweaters with the holiday applique's that old women and school teachers break out every winter.

And it's not just the clothing that worries me. When I find myself day dreaming of trading in our Mini Cooper for a minivan it's obvious how much things have changed! Now don't get me wrong I'm definitely not longing to relive my beer drinking, skateboarding, punk show scouting days... I'm over that, but there has to be a middle road!

All joking aside being a mom is by far the coolest thing I've done and it's come really naturally, so I'm completely comfortable with the shift. (Plus Xavier is awesome, I can always claim coolness by association). Next week my babe and I are off to see Morrissey, (thanks honey!) which is just so cool I'm bound to come to terms with the nerd I am.

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Anonymous Anonymous says so:
    9:58 AM  

    Ha- us being all worried about being cool or not is a sure sign... top

  • Blogger Cyclone says so:
    10:56 AM  

    I just saw your comment on Steph's blog so I had to come over here and I was going to tell you *I* think you're cool. :) PLUS if you think you're really cool, chances are you're not. You know what I'm saying? People who are cool don't even realize it. (And fantasizing about trading in the Mini for a minivan is just practical, not uncool. What's uncool taking 10 minutes to get Xavier out of the car seat in the back because you're too squished. But that's just me.) ;o) top

  • Blogger beth says so:
    8:07 PM  

    Oh MY GOD! You're going to see Morrissey! I don't think you have to worry about the coolness factor. You're going to see Morrissey!? I used to have a life goal of touching him...I was what, 14? I have to say I still wouldn't mind touching him... top

  • Anonymous Anonymous says so:
    11:42 PM  

    Hi there. I've been reading your blog for a couple months now. I found it while reading comments on a friend of mine's blog. Anyway, about being cool...I'd like to think that I am still cool. I know I'm not,though. It's funny. I'll see "cool" kids at the mall or wherever and just want to go up to them (stroller and all) and tell them that I used to be as cool as them, but now look at me!! It will probably happen to them too!! ha ha
    I am the mamma of a three year old daughter, and I don't want to be anything else. I like the person I've become...most of the time. I miss the Manic Panic Vampire Red hair, the concerts, and the wearing out endless pairs of big black boots. But alas, I have given them up for natural brown hair, Kindermusik music, and birks or tennis shoes. Oh, well. I really wouldn't have it any other way. Besides, I keep myself feeling cool by writing "Amy is cool" on several things a week. It helps! ha ha

    ps- Morrissey???!!! LUCKY!!!

    pps- I am a teacher (1st/2nd grade split this year) and I REFUSE to wear the "teacher gear" (as I like to call it). That includes, but is not limited to: wooden jewelry, turtle necks with ANY kind of print, jumpers, embroidered vests, sweatshirts, and sweaters.

    ppps- Amy is cool. top

  • Anonymous Anonymous says so:
    1:06 PM  

    haha! i tried on "mom jeans" the other day, it was by accident but still. and also my husband drives the wrangler which used to be mine, i now drive the family suv. but you're right, it's all way worth it. it's just funny to see the 180 that happened to me since i got married and had a baby. top