<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

Xavier Pollock

I should start by saying my dear husband is an artist. I like to think I have a bit of a creative streak myself- photography is my forte but I've always loved to paint. We experimented a while back with marker drawing, but that was just a mess and I'm not ready for the eating of crayons, so painting it is. I'm very careful (read: neurotic) about what passes my babe's lips so even though the craft store's finger paint boasts about it's non-toxicity, the thought of Xav swallowing a mouthful made me a bit uneasy... Solution? Dig out the nanny archives and my trusty finger paint recipe. And boy was it a hit! The glory of paint squishing between your fingers (and toes!) and the joy of seeing pink flesh become a sticky, multicolored mess... ahhh, I love these moments!
Here's my secret finger paint recipe if you'd like to try for yourself-
Ingredients:
1/2 cup cornstarch
3 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups cold water
food coloring (or bright fruit -blueberries, beet juice
, etc)

Directions:
Mix all of the ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes. Stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth and thick. Remove and cool.

After cooling, divide the finger paint into storage containers depending on how many colors you want. Stir a few drops of food coloring to each container and you're ready to paint.

*For little guys I like to let the paint sit over night so it comes a bit gel-like. You can always reheat to melt down if necessary.

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    9:29 PM  

    Oh my goodness... you did this inside? : )

    And I love your kind "editing" of his boy-ness! top

  • Blogger janice says so:
    10:31 PM  

    oh my! that looks messy and FUN! I have never thought about making paint myself! might have to try that! top

  • Blogger Robin says so:
    11:28 PM  

    I think this is so cool - in your house. Me - outside on a warm day.
    Your going to be the fun mom. All the kids will want to be at your house. top

  • Blogger Staci says so:
    11:31 PM  

    You are soooo brave!!! :D top

  • Anonymous Anonymous says so:
    3:41 PM  

    Oh my!! I'd like to know how you got him to the bathtub without getting paint on yourself. :) top

  • Blogger New Mama's Nest says so:
    10:06 PM  

    Without getting paint on myself?! I had paint ALL over myself! Sooo much fun! top

  • Blogger Johnny Ong says so:
    8:48 AM  

    hahaha....like this particular blog of yrs top

  • Blogger beth says so:
    8:12 PM  

    Awesome. I've totally had the same fears about paint eating. I'll try this soon. Thanks. top

  • Blogger morgan says so:
    9:10 PM  

    First of all, I have to say that you're little guy is so very cute! I have a 9 month old too and your paint recipe is great. I'm going to try it tomorrow. Thanks for sharing. top

  • Anonymous Mama C-ta says so:
    9:02 AM  

    I'm printing out the recipe now but I don't have food coloring but plenty of blueberries and raspberries!

    This is much better than my idea of ketchup and mustard. top

  • Anonymous tabatha says so:
    2:27 PM  

    how long will this store for? any idea?(mixing it now, hehe, can't wait until Isaac wakes up from his nap!) top

  • Blogger New Mama's Nest says so:
    3:19 PM  

    Tabatha,
    If you're using fruit for coloring store it in the refrigerator and I wouldn't keep it for more than a week or so. I have a batch with artificial color that is a couple months old and still just fine (have to re-melt each use)

    Have fun!!! top

  • Anonymous tabatha says so:
    6:10 PM  

    As it turned out, I didn't have to worry about storing it - what he didn't paint with, he ate :O. At least I know what was in it!

    Thanks again for the great idea and fun!
    ~Tabatha top