<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

Reasons I love being a Mom #3 - Laughter


I read somewhere that adults laugh less than 20 times a day. Children- more than 300.

I don't think David and I knew the true meaning of a good laugh before X started to share in the fun. Not so long ago, as just a tiny little thing, Xav would laugh so often in his sleep. He'd be sleeping peacefully, then a smile would grace his lips and his little body would bounce with a silent chuckle. Oh, what I would give to know what was so funny!

I don't remember the transition much. At some point he began to laugh out loud on occasion, usually when his Daddy or I did something way over the top. And now everything is funny. Silly faces, his own bodily functions, Daddy, me, the dog, strangers, toys, books, music, the vacuum... ok, I'll stop but he seriously laughs at everything! And his voice is airy and deep so he truly chuckles... his chubby little belly bounces up and down. It is impossible not crack up along side him. My favorite is when I start to laugh- the fake laugh, he fakes it too at first and before you know it we're both laughing our heads off for real.

But tonight takes the cake. I was playing with Xavier in our upstairs hallway on the way to get ready for bed. I'm laying on the floor and he was stepping towards me and grabs my head... I enjoyed it for a few minutes but when the snuggles turned to hair pulling I say, "Xavier, that hurts can you please let go of Mommy's hair?" I then removed his little fingers from my mop and popped my head up with a big "Thank you!"... He lost it! I have never heard him laugh so hard! I buried my head in his belly and repeated this scene again and again to his delight (mine too! as you can see from the photo I'm a mess!). Thankfully David came running and captured it all on film.

I think most days our belly laughs alone are 300 and counting. I plan to keep it that way.

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger LaughterThoughts says so:
    1:42 AM  

    Children's laughter is one of my favorite sounds! It is definitely music. :) It's so infectious and sweet. I love it when my kids get the giggles. top

  • Blogger Glass Half Full says so:
    6:49 AM  

    I can almost hear his laughter with that first photo!! What a smile!! top

  • Blogger Cyclone says so:
    9:12 AM  

    You look sooooo happy in that picture!!! This made me smile. :) top

  • Blogger Jamie says so:
    9:18 AM  

    Xav sure sounds like Avery... She laughs all day long! (and climbs on me and pulls my hair!)
    Doesn't it make you feel good to know that your baby is so happy?
    And you are certainly NOT a mess in that photo, I don't think you could be much cuter :) top

  • Blogger Amaranth says so:
    10:06 AM  

    If only we were to laugh as much as they do...maybe we'd be a little less stressed! top

  • Blogger Amber says so:
    10:18 AM  

    He is sooooo FREAKING CUTE!!!!! And I can't wait to finally hear Bode laugh! Though that smile of his definitely lifts our spirits... top

  • Blogger Amber says so:
    10:19 AM  

    He is SOOOO FREAKING CUTE! And with that laugh? Downright adorable, I'm sure! top

  • Blogger Amber says so:
    10:19 AM  

    He is SOOOO FREAKING CUTE! And with that laugh? Downright adorable, I'm sure! top

  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    11:48 AM  

    I love these pics! I think the happiness and laughter was truly captured! top

  • Blogger Michelle says so:
    12:39 PM  

    My son is the same way. He laughs at anything and if you laugh about anything at all, he will start laughing. The thing that cracks him up most is the dogs.

    Xavier looks so cute in those photos! top

  • Blogger Robin says so:
    1:44 PM  

    There is nothing like a good baby laugh! Carter is 2 months and I'm waiting. Not so patiently either. I keep doing really over the top things, and he smiles really big with his whole body and you think a laugh is going to come out - but then he squeaks. Which is pretty funny too!!!! top

  • Blogger Tracey says so:
    10:00 AM  

    Oh yeah. Gotta get my fill of baby giggles each day. And just wait till you have more than one, and they're laughing TOGETHER. Truly overwhelming.

    He's adorable! top

  • Anonymous adwina - insparenting.com says so:
    12:50 AM  

    Hi, Ashlee... Xav is so cute in these pics. Belly laugh is me and my boy's favorite, too. He'll laugh out loud when we do it. He even asks for more. LOL. top

  • Anonymous Jill Urbane, The Mentor Mom says so:
    9:16 AM  

    What a cutie!! I hear you about the laughing. When I hear little ones laughing that hard it brings a tear to my eye. I always tell people it is like listening to angels sing. Great post :) top

  • Blogger beth says so:
    12:03 PM  

    I love the beautiful innocent laugh that babies have, where they are not yet self-concious about anything. You guys look so happy, How wonderful to have an easy laugher - we have to work our butts off to get Sam going. top

  • Blogger Randi says so:
    8:11 PM  

    Oh I just LUUUVVV when they laugh! It IS the BEST!! And great pic too, you can almost hear you two laughing and enjoying your special time:) top

  • Blogger Heidi says so:
    10:06 PM  

    I can see the happiness just pouring out of the photo! I agree, I've never laughed so much as I have the last two years. top

  • Blogger janice says so:
    4:02 AM  

    yes - there is NOTHING better than their laughs. it is so wonderful!!!!!!! top