<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

Goodbye gummy smile...








About a month ago, my finger stumbled upon three little bulges in the bottom of Xav's mouth. I began to prepare for my little guy with teeth, but no matter how hard I tried, couldn't imagine his smile in any fashion other than that gummy grin. A few day's later the drooling and chewing and everything in the mouth began. He's such a pleasant, laid back baby and while that didn't at all change he'd have a moment here or there where we'd be playing and he'd suddenly cry out in pain. We discovered Hyland's teething tablets (they work wonders) and ice cubes in his mesh feeder. The bulges would come up and down, some days all but disappearing. I was beginning to think those little teeth would never come in.

Then last Friday, Xavier and I were sitting at the dining table with our friend Carol. He was chewing on the wrong end of his spoon - pretending to eat - He grunted and chomped down, then screamed. I assumed he had jabbed himself so I washed my hands and went to feel around. To my surprise I discovered a jagged, pearly tooth protruding from his bottom gums! We cheered and cried and marked the milestone as he looked on with such relief. Everyday I've snuck a peek and a feel to see how our little tooth is coming in. And have delighted in getting out the finger tip brush and brushing "the tooth". It's just a little sliver still, a sharp little sliver, but it's definitely growing on us.

This afternoon I settled in to nurse my little toothed man and had to promptly remove him for biting. I offered my finger to soothe him instead and he happily clamped down. Something felt different... bigger... wider... had the tooth come through all the way already? No, that's not it... no, it couldn't be... another tooth!? Xavier is officially a two toothed man.

I never thought emerging teeth could bring on such emotion! David and I shared a moment of wishing we could hit pause, maybe rewind a little... he's growing up so fast. I've learned to slow down myself as to not miss a thing. Another to milestone to make me appreciate the fact I have.

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger beth says so:
    9:09 AM  

    That's so exciting. Yay toothy. I remember feeling this overwhelming sense of pride for Sam when he grew his first tooth, as though he had really accomplished something all on his own. Sort of irrational, but true nonetheless. top

  • Blogger Nikkie says so:
    1:15 PM  

    Its so sad and happy at the same time when the first teeth come in! I hope he's very gentel on you while he eats! top

  • Blogger Jamie says so:
    1:37 PM  

    Just wait till he flashes you a big smile with two teeth showing, it's priceless!

    Congrats on the new teeth! top

  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    2:18 PM  

    Yay for teeth! Can't wait to see those toofers! top

  • Blogger Glass Half Full says so:
    4:35 PM  

    I always thought teeth change the entire appearance of a baby! Just one of many changes you'll experience... top

  • Blogger Michelle says so:
    5:04 PM  

    Congrats Xavier! Good job! Our little punk has two teeth as well. I love looking at them, but I still haven't been able to get a photo of them. They are just So cute. top

  • Blogger Awesome Mom says so:
    10:39 PM  

    Congrats on the teeth! Both of my kids teeth early so we don't get much time with gummy grins. top