<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

Celebrating Breastfeeding and other things

I was having one of those moments... you know, one of those trying to pick up the house, the dog has decimated another writing utensil (at least it wasn't another $20 bill), the company's late (again), can't tell the dirty laundry pile from the clean so I'm going to have to do it all again, come on baby we're going outside to get some fresh air kind of moments... Xav's on my hip in the sling enjoying me running around, but he sounds like he's crying. I look down and he has the BIGGEST smile on his face, he was totally faking it, so priceless! Exactly what I need to put things in perspective.

Susan over at 5 minutes for Mom has posted these "Tell us your story" questions to celebrate Breastfeeding week. A lot of this was already answered in my "I love nursing" post, but I'd love to dive in again.

Did you nurse your baby(s) and for how long?
Xavier is nursing like a champ at 7 1/2 months. I plan to nurse until he's at least 2 and let him self-wean.

What was your favourite aspect of nursing?
All of it! The connection. The snuggles, cuddling, staring into each others eyes. The fact that I am capable of providing him ALL of the nourishment he needs. What's not to love

Did you ever get bitten?
Oh, yeah! Xav's currently working on his first tooth and turns out I am his favorite teether.

What was the hardest part of weaning?
Not there yet, but I'm certain it will be harder on me than it is on him.

Do you have any advice to share with moms about nursing and/or weaning?
If you plan to nurse or are nursing be sure you have a support network. Family, friends, La Leche League, or other Mom's group. It takes some getting used to, but I'm convinced that any breastfeeding issue from a baby who just won't latch to low milk supply can be overcome with a little bit of persistence and patience.

I'd love to hear your story too!

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end
  • Blogger Stephanie says so:
    4:00 PM  

    Weaning for me has really been bittersweet. Even the first time when I was so ready to be done. After we were done there were times I missed it. top

  • Blogger Nikkie says so:
    4:03 PM  

    I'm glad that all things breastfeeding is going great with you and your little guy :) Thanks for sharing! top

  • Blogger Amber says so:
    4:07 PM  

    We're still working out our kinks and I honestly can't say I enjoy nursing, though I certainly have a testimony of the importance of it. And so I do it, even through the pain and toughness of it all. I guess that's the ultimate testimony of all!!! top

  • Blogger Awesome Mom says so:
    4:31 PM  

    I pumped for 14 months for my toddler. He was too weak to latch on after his first heart surgery and by the time he was strong enough he was dealing with eating issues and was being tube fed some of his food. It was a lot of work to pump for him but I know it was worth it. He only got since once the whole time I was pumping for him and that was a nasty virus that he picked up in the hospital. top

  • Anonymous O Mama Mia says so:
    6:53 PM  

    wwwhhhheeeeee!!!!! I let Sophia wean herself & the week of her second birthday, she told me "I'm a big girl now. I don't need mangia." I was ok with it, since I knew I hadn't pushed it, but inside? a tiny feeling of rejection & learning what it means to let go of your child growing up. No regrets & I'd do it all over again in a heart beat. top

  • Blogger Jennifer Sprague, All Natural Mommies says so:
    9:52 PM  

    :) What a sweet post!!! Your little boy is lucky to have a great mom like you! I cant imagine weaning either, and I am sure its coming sooner rather than later! Continue to enjoy every minute, soon your little man will be 33 months like mine...and nursing will be coming to an end (though not yet, but sooner or later I am sure). top

  • Blogger Cyclone says so:
    11:54 AM  

    Hey Ashlee! I'm trying to get the hang of Blogger, but I figured I would leave you a comment to let you know I was here anyway. :) I need to figure out how to format my diary better and stuff. And right now my picture makes me look deformed.

    (Rachel from Choices.) top

  • Blogger Michelle says so:
    1:51 PM  

    I completely agree with your advice. I think it is sad when mom's just give up. I think I called just about every mom I knew trying to get help with my little man's latch on problems. But it was SO worth it.
    It is so great to get connected with other moms who are dedicated to nursing their children. top

  • Blogger Adventures In Babywearing says so:
    4:13 PM  

    Here's what I posted over at 5 Minutes For Mom:

    I HEART BREASTFEEDING!!!

    *I have nursed all my babies- my first two weaned around 13 months, but I had them on some sort of schedule then (and regret this!) so with Grayson- 9 months, I plan to nurse as long as he wishes.

    *I really do love everything about nursing- it was one of the # 1 things I looked forward to when having my babies! I love the way they naturally latch on and that look in their eyes like it’s “soooooooo gooooooood” and when they fall asleep at the breast… and the fact that I am providing nourishment for my child… I could go on & on!

    *I was going to add that I don’t necessarily enjoy getting bit, but they all only did it for a short time- usually when teething at first and it always got better!

    *I was sad to lose that bond and that they didn’t “need” me in that way anymore. Sometimes you just need that private snuggle/bonding time where you are forced to sit down, chill out, relax- and nursing provides for that!

    *My best advice would be nurse when baby wants to eat (not on a strict schedule) and to not be afraid to take baby to bed with you… for a nursing mom it helps you get SO MUCH MORE sleep! I love it, and I love having baby close. top

  • Blogger Cyclone says so:
    9:22 PM  

    RYC: That's awesome about your grandfather in law! It's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it. Real estate is really where it's at. top

  • Blogger Susan (5 Minutes For Mom) says so:
    10:17 PM  

    Yes, isn't nursing the most wonderful thing... I just love everything about it too.

    Wonderful to hear you'll nurse until your boy is 2... that's so great.

    Thanks so much for sharing! top

  • Anonymous Randi says so:
    11:32 AM  

    I think Breastfeeding was the BEST decision I have ever made, well that and deciding to have a child! I love EVERYTHING about BFing. I could go on for days about how great it is! I'm going on 7 months and still want to keep going. My goal is 1 year, and I'm almost there:) I love that I'm giving him the BEST stuff. top