<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d24222047\x26blogName\x3dMama\x27s+Nest\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://newmamasnest.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7065122556056256813', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

About

Ashlee is Mama of one darling boy. A 28 week early bird, now 1 and some change, doing beautifully. She lives near Chicago with her sweetheart husband and French Bulldog. She's a thinker not afraid to get her silly on. Babywearer, veggie queen, photography nut. Before the domestic days Ashlee was pursuing a future in developmental psychology but has happily shifted gears in favor of staying at home and couldn't imagine doing anything else. In her free time (ha!) you can find her whipping up babyslings, holding down the fort at Mama Speaks and spotlighting as an Itsy Bitsy Yoga Instructor.

Still possible

I had my postpartum follow up- follow up today and got the best news ever... Since Xavier was born early we've been searching for reasons why and wondering what to expect for future pregnancies. During my last visit the lovely term "incompetent cervix" was brought up as a possible cause, and while grateful to have something that could give me answers it left me feeling defective.

I researched and found that treatment during a future pregnancy would be to essentially stitch the cervix closed at 16 weeks and remove the stitches at 37 weeks allowing delivery anytime thereafter. And while there is some controversy over whether or not this is necessary (some say decreased activity and rest are just as effective) I was happy to know this would allow me to carry a baby to term. I assumed however that this would mean I'd have to deliver with an OB in a hospital- which I would do in a heartbeat if it were the only way we could have another a child, if that was best for all of us... but I was so ready for our homebirth with Xavier, and dreamed we might still be able to have our next baby at home...

I learned today that hopefully we still can!!! Dr. Ransom told me to please continue to see my midwife, there's no reason not to. She said not to worry about next time, simply wait until I'm pregnant again and have an ultrasound to measure my cervix. If they find I will need the stitches, she'd be happy to work with my midwife if necessary so that we can have the birth we've dreamed of.

So, I'm relieved... we're definitely going to wait a couple, few years to do it all over again. But I am reassured that even if a bit of intervention is necessary we'll be able to bring another life into this world, into our arms where they belong.

You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
Comment | Bookmark | Go to end